Monday, November 19, 2012

I Will Create Food! - Gnocchi


It's not often I can convince the boys to help me with dinner.  Usually it falls along the lines of:
 "Hey, come help me make dinner."
"What do you need me to do?"
"Start by mixing this."
5 minutes later the item is mixed and my help has vanished.  But not this time.   As soon as my youngest saw me mashing the potatoes for the Gnocchi he wanted to be elbows deep in the process.  From mashing to rolling to freezing, he was a part of every step.  I think we may be making Gnocchi more often.

I found several recipes online and pieced together a simple version.

2 large potatoes
2 cups of flour ( you may use more or less depending on how your dough comes together)
1 egg

Boil the potatoes. I prefer to boil them with the skin on and peel them after while their still warm.

After peeling, mash the potatoes and form a small crater in the middle.  Start another pot of water to cook the Gnocchi. (I like to add a bit of olive oil to the water) Add the egg to the crater and add about 1 1/2 cups of flour.  Knead all the ingredients together adding more flour as you go until you have a slightly sticky dough.

Cut small chunks of dough off and roll into long snakes.  
They should look like this.
Once you have the dough snakes, cut them into whatever sized chunks you would like. (We cut them into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces.


Once you have the Gnocchi cut to the size you want drop them into your boiling water, wait for the Gnocchi to rise to the surface and enjoy with your favorite pasta sauce. 




No comments:

Post a Comment